Monday, 12 May 2008

Installing a Samba Domain

One of our potential customers is having problems joining a XP workstation to their new Samba 3.0.28 domain using User Profile Wizard. Although we've tested using Samba before, we really need to build an up to date Samba domain in our lab for troubleshooting purposes... So that's what I'm going to do.

I'm using Ubuntu because, much as I love Fedora, I don't want to have to upgrade the kernel every week. (That's OK if you're using the latest laptop, not so great for your server.) And I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) and not the current version 8.04 (Hardy Heron) just because I've got it to hand. The new server will be installed as a VMware virtual machine on VMware Server, which itself runs on Ubuntu Server 7.10. What I'm going to do here is record my steps, primarily for my own reference, but also because - if you're reading this - it might be of some use to you.

First step: create the virtual machine.

No comments: