Wednesday, 1 August 2007

Kernel Update Woes

After upgrading to the 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 kernel, my D630 reverted to the Metacity Gnome Window Manager; trying to run Beryl caused the machine to lockup. So I spent a boring hour or so rebuilding the Intel graphics drivers as I did before. When I finished rebuilding the drivers glxinfo still reported "direct rendering: No" This was a bit strange: /dev/dri/card0 was in place and the Xorg.0.log file reported no errors. More to the point, Beryl worked fine - so I didn't worry about it.

This morning I boot up my machine and the 2.6.22.1-41.fc7 kernel update is available. So, somewhat reluctantly given that I thought I would have to rebuild the drivers all over again, I ran the update. However, this time there was no problem with Beryl at all. Good news! I had no sound, of course...

No comments: