Monday, 6 August 2007

Installing Python 2.4

One of the things that spurred me on to look at Linux again was that I want to look at Numenta's HTM (Hierarchical Temporal Memory) neural network framework. (There is no Windows version.) The current version of the software is dependent on Python 2.4: it will not run with Python 2.5 which is installed on Fedora 7. So I needed to get Python 2.4 installed.

Building and installing Python 2.4 from the source files was no problem. However, when I ran python2.4 (or just python as 2.4 was now the default installation) I got “python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.4.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”. libpython2.4.so.1.0 was sitting happily /usr/local/lib/ of course.

The solution was to add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Adding these lines to my .bashrc file fixed the problem.

No comments: