Tuesday, 19 June 2007

Installing Fedora 7 on a Dell D630 Laptop

I start by booting the Laptop from the Fedora 7 install DVD. On the "Installation Method" screen you are asked "Which type of media contains the packages to be installed?" I choose "Local CDROM" Immediately there is a problem. I get an error message saying "No driver found":

Unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation type. Would you like to manually select your driver or use a driver disk

Selecting any of the listed drivers just brings me back to the same screen.

I try booting from a Fedora Core 6 CD instead of the Fedora 7 DVD. This time everything is fine. Obviously, the Fedora 7 installer doesn't contain any drivers for my DVD drive, or more likely the ICH8M Intel Ultra ATA controller it is hanging off of. Not good. Still, I should be able to get Fedora 7 loaded from CD instead of DVD. Accept... There aren't any CD images. The Fedora Project website states "Beginning with Fedora 7, it is recommended to use Live images to install on a system with a CD-ROM only." So I try that. The problem is the Fedora 7 Live CD doesn't work either! All I get is an error:

---------------------------------------------------
WARNING: Cannot find root file system!
---------------------------------------------------
Create symlink /dev/root and then exit this shell to continue the boot sequence.

For a few minutes it looks like I'm hosed and that I'm going have to go back to Vista. But then I have a better idea. I boot from the DVD again. This time when I'm asked what type of media contains the pacakges to be installed I choose "HTTP." I'm prompted to configure TCP/IP (and just accept the defaults) and the machine gets an IP address. I'm then prompted for a Web site name and the Fedora directory. It works! The installer is now pulling down the packages from a mirror site.

Trying to install Linux on the latest hardware is clearly a problem. I just hope the system boots when the installation is complete.

1 comment:

Viraj said...

Thanks for this post. I was having the same problem. I'll try using thie http install.