Tuesday, 19 June 2007

Decision Time

My new Dell 630 laptop has been delivered. It is time to put my money where my mouth is. Will Fedora be my main OS on my new laptop?

If you have read any of the posts here, you will know what the answer is already. Despite the problems and compromises, it's a no-brainer: I'm going with Linux.

Of course, because of VMWare I do have a get-out-of-jail-free card: I can run multiple OSs on the same system - and being a Windows developer I will definitely need to do that. But because I really want to explore Linux, Linux has to be the main OS. If I was configuring this machine for a colleague, I probably wouldn't make the same choice. Probably... But I'm going to keep that discussion for another time.

Interestingly, despite Dell saying "The fully configurable Latitude D630 can come pre-loaded with new Windows Vista, Windows XP or FreeDOS to suit your business needs..." Dell wouldn't sell me a D630 without Windows pre-installed. However, after some negotiation with our account manager a mutually acceptable deal was struck :-)


My first impression of the D630 was how much smaller it seemed than the older latitudes I've used in the past. This is the result, I think, of the wide aspect screen which makes the machine narrower - and lighter. It is not a wholly positive impression - the screen does seem small. Still, I guess I'll get used to it.

No comments: